NOTE! This site uses cookies

By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. For more detalis, see Read more

Accept

What are you looking for?

60% to support Catalonia becoming a new European independent state

According to a poll issued by the Centre of Opinion Studies (CEO), run by the Catalan Government, 59.7% of Catalans would agree with Catalonia becoming "a new European State". Specifically, 40.2% of the interviewees "totally agree" with the idea, 19.5% of the interviewees tend to agree, 10.8% tend to disagree and 18.9% are "totally against" it. Furthermore, 87.3% of the interviewees affirm they would accept the result of a self-determination referendum while 9.3% state they would not accept it. Furthermore, 74% of Catalans believe that the best way to decide on Catalonia's political future and its relationship with Spain is through a referendum, while 21.7% think the opposite.

18 March 2014 08:13 PM

by

ACN

SHARE

Barcelona (ACN).-   According to a poll issued on Tuesday by the Centre of Opinion Studies (CEO), run by the Catalan Government, 59.7% of Catalans would agree with Catalonia becoming \"a new European State\"; 29.7% would be against this idea and 6.8% \"do not know\". Furthermore, 87.3% of the interviewees affirm they would accept the result of a self-determination referendum while 9.3% state they would not accept it. Furthermore, 74% of Catalans believe that the best way to decide on Catalonia's political future and its relationship with Spain is through a referendum, while 21.7% think the opposite. The survey was conducted between the 4th and the 17th of December, partially coinciding with the last days of negotiations among parties supporting self-determination to reach an agreement on a question wording and date to organise a consultation vote on Catalonia's independence from Spain. 1,600 people throughout Catalonia were interviewed for the poll.


According to the CEO poll published today with data from December 2013, a wide majority of Catalans would support independence if Catalonia stays within the European Union. 59.7% of the interviewees would back Catalonia \"becoming a new European State\" within the next few years\". Specifically, 40.2% of the interviewees \"totally agree\" with the idea, 19.5% of the interviewees \"tend to agree\", 10.8% \"tend to disagree\" and 18.9% \"totally disagree\", while 6.8% \"do not know\" and 3.9% \"do not answer\".

The feelings aroused by the idea of an independent European state

When asked to grade from 0 to 10 \"the intensity felt\" at the idea of Catalonia becoming a new European State, 30.1% of the interviewees said they were feeling \"zero\" intensity. 15.0% were feeling an intensity of 5, while 8.4% were feeling an intensity of 10, 7.7% an intensity of 7 and 7.2% an intensity of 8. Summing the different groups, 30% of the interviewees felt an intensity between 6 and 10, while 51.4% felt an intensity between 0 and 4.

Regarding the nature of the feelings aroused by the idea of Catalonia becoming a new European State, 43% of the interviewees were feeling significant \"uncertainty\", ranking the intensity of this feeling between 6 and 10. 20.4% of the interviewees attributed a 5 to it, while 32.2% felt scarce \"uncertainty\", ranking their feelings between 0 and 4. 4.5% did not know or did not answer.

58.7% are quite or very \"excited\" about Catalonia becoming a new European State, with 26.7% of the total interviewees grading their \"excitement\" with a 10. Meanwhile, 9.9% marked their excitement with a 5. Additionally, 28.3% are scarcely or not excited at all, with 17.2% ranking their excitement with a 0. 3.3% did not know or did not answer.

Regarding \"hope\", 53.9% of the interviewees ranked the intensity of this feeling between 6 and 10, with 20.3% of the interviewees grading it with a 10. 11.0% marked it with a 5 and 31.3% felt no hope or little one grading it between 0 and 4, with 17.1% ranking it with a 0. 3.9 % did not know or did not answer.

Finally, regarding \"confidence\", 45.4% of the interviewees felt very or quite confident regarding the possibility of Catalonia becoming a new European State, grading their feeling between 6 and 10 (with 11.3% ranking it with 10). 17.8% marked their confidence with a 5. 32.3% felt little or no confidence in this possibility, with 16.9% feeling zero confidence. 4.4% did not know or did not answer.

87% of Catalans would accept the result of an independence referendum

If a self-determination referendum was to be held in Catalonia, would the citizens accept its outcome? 87.3% of the interviewees state they would accept its results, while 9.3% would not. 1.9% do not know and 1.5% do not answer.

A referendum, the best tool

Is a referendum the best way to decide on the political future of Catalonia? 49.4% \"totally agree\" and 24.6% \"tend to agree\". Both combined show that 74.0% of Catalans would think that a referendum is the best tool to know what the citizens want. Meanwhile, 10.1% \"tend to disagree\" and 11.6% \"totally disagree\", which show that 21.7% of Catalans tend to oppose the referendum. 3.1% do not answer and 1.3% do not know.

76.5% of citizens support having greater self-government powers

\"Should the Catalan Parliament have greater powers to decide on all the matters affecting the life of Catalonia's citizens\"? 50.5% \"totally agree\" and 26.0% \"tend to agree\". This means that 76.5% of Catalans would like Catalonia's own Parliament to have greater powers. Meanwhile, 10.9% \"tend to disagree\" and 7.6% \"totally disagree\", which means that only 18.5% of the interviewees would not like the Catalan Parliament to have greater powers. 3.6% do not know and 1.4% do not answer.

74% do not think Spanish Authorities treat Catalans in a satisfactory way

Finally, a wide majority of citizens consider that the Spanish Government does not treat Catalans in a \"satisfactory\" way. Only 5.4% of the interviewees \"totally agree\" that Catalans are being treated in a \"satisfactory\" way by the Spanish Executive, while an additional 15.1% \"tend to agree\". Both combined show that 20.4% of Catalans feel Madrid's treatment is somehow \"satisfactory\". However, 44.0% of the interviewees \"totally disagree\" with the idea that the Spanish Government treats Catalans in a \"satisfactory\" way, while an additional 30.0% tend to disagree. This means that 74.0% of Catalans think the Spanish Executive treats Catalans in an unsatisfactory way. 4.2% do not know and 1.4% do not answer.

SHARE

  • eu_flag_catalan_independence_flag

  • A Catalan independence flag next to a European Union one, in the last massive demonstration for independence (by A. Moldes)

ADVERTS